08 Dec Veggie Stuffed Mushroom Caps
(This recipe was adapted from TheGlutenFreeVegan website.)Ingredients:
- 24 medium whole mushrooms
- 1/3 cup vegan butter (We use Earth Balance, soy-free spread or their baking sticks)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 ribs of celery
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp seasoning salt
- Gently twist stems out of the mushrooms and save them for filling. (I use a small melonballer
tool to get all of the stem out.)
- Place mushroom stems, vegetables, & garlic in the bowl of the food processor. Pulse a few
times to finely chop all the ingredients evenly.
- In a skillet, heat vegan butter over medium heat. Sauté the finely chopped veggies with
seasoning salt. (I like to thoroughly cook the veggies until they are a nice golden brown.)
- Fill the mushroom caps with the cooked veggie mixture.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet & place under the oven broiler until they are
bubbly. Watch them carefully for about 10 minutes.
***To make these more appealing to kids, we top the mushroom filling with shredded
vegan cheese (Daiya mozzarella) before baking.